Are you feeling overwhelmed? Could it be because you are surrounded by clutter?
I’ve been noticing lately when I visit friend’s that their homes & offices are completely filled with clutter. People often ask me how I keep my house/office so clean. I tell them I get rid of stuff. It’s a lot easier to clean when you aren’t constantly picking up stuff. Some people I know have so much stuff their stuff doesn’t even have a home. If they wanted to organize they wouldn’t be able to because there would be no place to put their stuff
Take a look around your office. Do it. Right now. What do you see? Are there piles of paper everywhere? Are there things in your office that don’t belong? If so, how about scheduling 15 minutes today to de-clutter your office. See how much you can do in 15 short minutes.
Rules for de-cluttering:
1. Set timer for 15 minutes (and don’t give me the excuse that you do not have a timer. You can use this one: http://www.timeme.com/timer.htm just reset the preferences to 15 minutes).
2. Stay in your office the whole 15 minutes. (I learned this trick from reading Elizabeth Hagen’s book Organize With Confidence. She suggests anything that goes in another room to put in a pile to put away after the 15 minutes is up.
3. Toss/Recycle everything you do not need or love.
4. File any paper that needs to be filed.
Now that wasn’t so bad was it?
- Unplugging when you’re “on” 24/7
- Attention to Detail